Jul 22: On Hiking, Sleeping Habits and Other Random Stuff

Spurred by a Strava challenge, I took the opportunity to complete a couple of hikes I've been meaning to do for some time. In early July I finally made it up Bukit Kiara (I've been meaning to do that for ages now), and right before it turned August I made it up Denai Tiga Puteri in Kota Damansara. Quite enjoyed both hikes. Will continue to look out for more sub-four hour hikes that I can do.


+ + +

I'm also really into tracking my sleep these days. I'm not quite sure how useful it is yet but it's quite fascinating to check the stats out. My smartwatch is a low-end one which means the accuracy is kinda dubious but it can't be all garbage, can it?


+ + +

For the past ten years, I've always had someone I consider close friend in the same department, but July 2022 marks the first time in a long time no one in my circle of friends is in the same place I am.


+ + +

I'll also remember July as a month where almost every single morning commute was affected by some problem or the other. I don't think it's as shit as it's made out to be but the maintenance does seriously need to be planned out better. I remember (and miss) the days of three-minute gaps between trains.



+ + +

The Tour de France has come and gone but this year was sort of interesting because of the Tour De France Femmes. I reckon I enjoyed that more than I did the men's race so here's hoping the next edition is slightly longer.


What little I know of women's cycling actually comes from the Tokyo Olympics so I don't know as many female riders, but what I can conclude is that Annemiek van Vleuten is an absolute machine. Her solo breakaways (which are apparently her trademark) on the penultimate and final stages of the TDF Femmes were breathtaking.

+ + +

Now a quick word about the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) scandal, which you can read about here if you're even remotely interested. I find it absolutely mad that our armed forces have had to put up with a succession of clown-ish governments. As a country divided by the sea (and one which has historically prided itself as a maritime nation), it is insulting that our Navy is unable to procure the most basic of equipment. 

And don't even get me started on our Air Force and Army. 

For now, though, that's enough out of me. 'Til the next month.

Comments

Popular Posts