The Year That Was: 2019

Now that I've finally finished writing my assignments, I can finally get round to getting this post about 2019 done.

First of all, I’d like to talk about Khayra.

It’s been an absolute highlight watching her grow up. We’re at a stage where we’d probably miss something if we blinked long enough. Just look how different she looked at the beginning of the year compared to the end.


And bonus points because she finally figured out how to call me (daddy!) towards the end of the year.

Next up, I.U.

I have a short list of K-Pop performers I wanted to watch live. Prior to this I'd done Girls Generation, Shinee and Red Velvet.

I.U. was the last one that list. Super glad I got to do that this year.

The concert itself was surreal. I honestly think she's got one of the best voices among all Korean artistes. She even managed to get all of us to turn Korean for a minute...


That's from this song, in case you're intrigued..



OK on to the next thing.

Partly because of the dreadful work attachment I had at the beginning of the year, I got the sense that I should get finally just do some of the stuff I’d always wanted to do.

I can’t say I’ve managed to tick off everything I’ve wanted to do yet but 2019 (the latter part of it anyway) was a good start.


As part of my endeavour to prove that I’m not as stupid as my academic achievements would suggest, I enrolled my ass in a Master's course. If you’ve read the prologue, you’ll know I originally intended to do this overseas. But because I'm a poor AF, I needed a scholarship to make it work and obviously, that didn't work out. I briefly considered waiting for the 2020 rounds to re-open but in the end, I thought, fuck it, let’s just start now.

I’ve met some truly interesting people and I think a lot of the guys I hang out with are similar to me in the sense that they too know a lot of random things that are not entirely useful to anyone. Early indications, however, appear to back the assertion that I am indeed as stupid as my academic achievements suggest.



I also ran officially for the first time since Ipoh International Run in 2004. Now, I know I’m not exactly known for my sporting inclinations (and as I type this, I can almost imagine my officemates sniggering, being the supportive chaps they are) but I’d like to think it went much better than I could have hoped for.



I don’t quite have the will or desire to do a full marathon like some people do but I’ll probably do a couple more of those shorter runs this year.

2019 will also be known as the year I stopped watching wrestling, ending a 20-year journey. I even missed a WWE Live event in Singapore for the first time in ages (bye Nakamura!). Since I started watching Nitro and Thunder on TNT as a nine-year-old, wrestling has given me a lot of joy but I feel a majority of what's on offer these days just isn't for me.

NXT was fun while for a while but once they started moving the stars over to the "big leagues" I kind of fell out of it again, so it's goodbye for now.




I haven’t quite managed to do a couple of other stuff that I’ve wanted to do i.e. watch an away match for Perak, watch a match at Old Trafford, return to South Korea once again and have a proper overseas trip with my mum to somewhere other than Singapore.

So many things to do, so little money. Nonetheless, I’ll be trying to tick some of these off over the year so here's hoping I manage to do some of that in 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts