Election Countdown

While it's great that our Election Commission (EC) is allowing various NGOs such as the Merdeka Center, ASLI and IDEAS to participate as election observers, I also think they should re-allow foreign observers in order to further safeguard the impartiality of our elections.

Having said that, I don't see it happening any time soon hence I was quite disappointed to find that Transparency International (TI) declined to be observers. In the absence of their foreign counterparts, I would have thought that TI would be the perfect candidates to gain observer status as they are rather well-known organization with a solid presence around the world.

I do hope the EC and TI can sort out their differences as having them around would give our EC a bit more credibility. Without disrespect to any of the other observers, NGOs in Malaysia aren't really well known for their impartiality.


Comments

Popular Posts