2012

This is a bit late, but hell, I have nothing to do tonight.

Welcome to the sixth ever End of Year Awards!

Hero of the Year
Bradley Wiggins
Every since I started watching the sport of cycling, I've always had a different favourite for different years. This is because the ones I support tend to turn out to be drug cheats.

I never did like Bradley Wiggins (I consider myself a Ryder Hesjedal supporter), but he sort of grew on me the more I watched. The turning point finally came in the 2012 Tour de France when, in one of the stages, he held everyone up to wait for his title rival who had suffered a tyre puncture. That was class.

And Wiggo crossing the finish line to win gold at the Olympics was one of the most awesome sporting sights I've ever witnessed. Gave me goosebumps.


+++

Villain(s) of the Year
Delhi rape case suspects

Cases like this justify the existence of the death penalty. When there's such blatant disregard for a person's life, I'm all in favour for capital punishment.
May her death not be in vain. RIP.

+++

Movie of the Year
Skyfall

2012 was a good year for movies. There were loads of really good ones. Off the top of my head, some that really stood out were The Hunger Games, The Amazing Spiderman and The Life of Pi. And even though it probably won't feature in most movie critic lists, I even found Premium Rush to be quite fun.

But if you're asking me for the best, then I'm sorry, it's nothing but Skyfall for me. It's possibly the only movie I've ever gone to watch at the cinema twice.

+++

Book of the Year
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

This year, all the books I read were either Swedish-themed or war-themed. And since I'm very fussy when it comes to the books I read (i.e. anything that doesn't interest me after 20 pages is automatically crap), I'm glad to say all the books I read in 2012 were good. Everything from Sniper One (which was an excellent read, by the way) to Camilla Lackberg.

But if I had to choose just one book out of all I read, then it would have to be Steig Larsson's Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (I know, I know, it's an old book). I have no idea why, but I really love locked-room mysteries.

+++

Clown of the Year
Khael Malik

You know a guy's a shoo-in for this award when he manages to trap himself in his own bathroom for hours. Twice.

+++

Jabroni of the Year
Shebby Singh


A quick browse of any football website will probably uncover high levels of vitriol aimed towards Malaysia's very own Shebby Singh. And while I do honestly feel sorry for him, sometimes it's hard not to empathize.

Barely two months after being appointed Blackburn's Director of Football in June 2012, he somehow managed to piss off everyone in his own club including one of their best players, the fans, the manager and even the Professional Footballers Association.

Fast forward to January 2013 and the guy still seems as inept as ever, with rumours swirling that his own managing director wants to get rid of him.

+++

Game of the Year
Sleeping Dogs
I quite liked this game. It had a good story and I got to kick as many asses as I wished. Plus, when a game features the voice talents of Edison Chen, Lucy Liu and Kelly Hu it can't be all that bad, can it?

Comments

Popular Posts