My50 & My100

As an advocate for public transport, I feel that the single greatest policy that our new (?) government has implemented so far is the introduction of My50 and My100 travel passes.


Malaysia may have a relatively decent network of public transportation but I think fares are much too oppressive*. For example, it costs me RM160 a month to commute to work via public transport (which in my case is a combination of buses and trains). This figure assumes it doesn't rain every working morning of the month because I'd have to make alternative plans in case it did (which would definitely cost a lot more).

I am aware that RM160 a month is considered low to most people and I acknowledge this is because I am lucky enough to be living within a 6km radius of KLCC. 

Most of the major population centers in the Klang Valley lies beyond that radius (that means all of PJ, Selayang, Kepong, Puchong, half of Cheras and half of Ampang). I suppose this explains why places like Setapak and Wangsa Maju are desirable areas.

With the introduction of My50 and My100, people who live in those areas stand to save greater costs (assuming they have access to/have the desire to use public transport).

* According to World Atlas, Kuala Lumpur's average cost of public transport is about MYR1.67/day but I don't think that's very realistic as a single trip on the MRT feeder bus alone costs MYR1.

Comments

Popular Posts