The Truth Is.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate being put on the spot?

I hate being put on the spot.

That partially explains why I was never any good at debates.

Usually whenever I'm asked a question, I formulate something intelligent in my head (or something that sounds intelligent to me, anyway). The problem comes when I start to talk. The words I speak are (99% of the time) a massive let-down and, as a consequence, I don't usually come close to conveying whatever the hell it is I wished to convey in the first place.

Such is life when you're me.


Today I was asked what I thought of our department's performance during the away day and my response went somewhere along the lines of "I don't have anything to say". 

That's a standard response designed to avoid making myself look like a total knob.

But I think, what I truly meant to say was:

One day, when we have left this department and have moved on to other things in our careers or lives, it is moments like these are the ones that we will take away with us. These are the things that helped us bond as a department whether we realize or not. 5-10 years down the road, it is not the trivial matters like assessments, coaching and training that we will remember. It is things like these that we will cherish.

And that, I reckon, sounds a touch better than not having anything to say.

Don't you just hate it when your moment of clarity arrives eight hours too late?

Ta.

Comments

Popular Posts