200312

Technology is rather over-rated, isn't it?


Humans began working forty-hour work weeks after World War II. And this was in the era of typewriters. And no mobile phones.


Thirty years ago, people worked a forty-hour week. And this was the era of PCs with 128KB of RAM. And mobile phones were the size of a bloody suitcase.


These days I work a forty-hour week. My office PC, which I consider pretty retarded, has 23.5 million times the primary data storage capacity of the ones from thirty years ago. Phones have shrunk to the point where a person would still be able to use it if he or she were taking a leak.

These days I can obtain my pay slip, apply for leave and apply for training on-line. I can text my boss at 4am to update him/her if I wanted to. So why am I still working as long as my poor ancestors from seventy-eighty years ago?



Conventional wisdom says although both our ancestors and us worked eight-hours per day, the modern person is much more productive, blah, blah, blah. But to be really honest, I think we're just that much better at wasting time than they were.

Comments

Popular Posts