The WFH Dilemma

First off, since we live in a politically correct world these days and one can't really get away from offending anyone, let me just say that I acknowledge I am lucky to still have a job etc. etc. This pandemic sucks and watching our country and economy go down the toilet, primarily due to the rich Malay male senior citizens who are responsible for calling the shots in our government, is no fun. But I digress. As I sit here, I have been lucky enough to have been working from home for the past 15.5 months.


For the most part, working from home has been brilliant. I get to see my daughter a lot. I get to eat when I want. I don't have to get on the train every morning and evening. I don't have to leave at dawn and come home at night. In fact, I'd really rather not go back to the office at all, if possible. I actually think it's quite a shame that it's taken a Left 4 Dead-like pandemic for Malaysia to fully embrace this sort of working style.


The biggest drawback for me, though, is the inability for one to completely switch off from work. As Malaysians, we're famous for working supremely long hours without a corresponding increase in productivity. Quite frankly, that's because our culture is one where we need to be seen to be doing work, even if we aren't really doing so. I mean, you get a rough idea of how our culture is like just by looking how our politicians need to be accompanied by at least 70 photographers for a simple house visit or how your bosses insist you take pictures of meetings you attend (Or is this just a thing for my bosses?)


But now that we're all at home, many of us have lost that avenue to appear somewhat useful to the higher-ups. As a result, we overcompensate by doing things like replying emails at 2am. Or getting a report done within an hour when it isn't really urgent. Or holding meetings at odd hours for no discernible reason.


What all this means is that I do feel like I am at the mercy of bosses and when they want to kan cheong. Sometimes they do it at midnight. Sometimes it's 3am. Sometimes it's on Saturday night when you're trying to watch football. Sometimes it's Sunday morning when you're having a walk with your child. Whether or not you're on leave is irrelevant. The point is, whenever the bosses kan cheong, the team is expected to be on the ball.


That's not to say they can't get all antsy whenever their boss looks for them. In fact, if I do make it to become a boss someday I'd probably do it too. But I do wish they would structure it all out in their heads sometimes before they decide to drop bombs on us worker ants. Like is that reply really that urgent or is it something that can wait? Or if it cannot then at least have a clear plan on what needs to be delivered before deciding for the whole jimbang to get online. Alas, it's been 15.5 months and they still haven't gotten the hang of it. I do wish they'd adapt a little quicker.


But if you ask me if I'd still like to work from home, the answer is a resounding yes. And hopefully, when we get back to normal life (which may probably be in 2075 at the rate we're going), this will still be an acceptable way arrangement for people who have no requirement to be physically present at the office.

Comments

Popular Posts