Ramadhan 1441

I usually begin each Ramadhan with a trepidation.

The thought of no morning coffee.

The thought of interrupted sleep patterns.

These are but some of the things that makes me feel less than enthusiastic about embracing the holy month like all good Muslims should. But by the end of every Ramadhan, without fail, I'll look back and think how great it was for the body and mind to be given some time off to reset. The body always feels lighter and sharper in the weeks immediately preceding Hari Raya. 

Of course, with each passing year, we are also reminded that time waits for no man. I was struck down with severe gastric on the very first day of fasting this year, something that has never happened before. I usually adapt fairly well to the fasting but these are the first indications that age is indeed catching up.

This Ramadhan, held under the shadow of the Movement Control Order, also brought several opportunities for me to get in touch with the spiritual side of things (which is amazing because I'm not a religious person by any stretch of the imagination).

At the age of 32, I've finally done my first solo terawih and Eid prayers - things previously confined to the mosque (and that's assuming I went in the first place).

I do suppose it's never too late.

And as I restart my ritual of a having a cup of Ipoh white coffee every morning again, I'd like to wish Selamat Hari Raya to anyone reading this.

Comments

Popular Posts