The Curious Case of PUBG

A lot of things in life cannot be explained.

Like how no one knows what happened to Amelia Earhart. Or why Japan still allows dolphin hunting in this day and age. Or how Ed Woodward is still in charge of transfers at Manchester United.

Stuff like that.

But none of that compares to my experience in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds or PUBG.

To the uninitiated, PUBG is a game where 100 players parachute into a map and battle to be the last man/team standing.

Most of the time, when I start a new game I leave nothing to chance. I sit in a quiet room with minimal distractions. I have my headphones on to better determine the direction of gunfire. Questions like where to land, what weapons to use and which direction to head to is all mapped out in my head.

And how do I fare?

Typically I'll last all of 8 minutes before I get my character's head blown off by a sniper I can't even see.

And then there are other times when I start a new game and suddenly get hungry almost immediately after it starts.

I plop my character down in a nice patch of grass in he middle of nowhere, cook myself a bowl of Maggi, savour that Maggi to the last drop of soup and when I pick my phone up again 20 minutes later...


...not only am I still alive but I'm one of only three chaps left standing?!?

(P/S: Judging by the stats of my teammates, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all having Maggi too.)

How is it then I do better when I'm not looking at my screen for at at least 90% of the game?

Now that, ladies & gentlemen, is what you call a mystery.

Comments

Popular Posts