The Streak is Over

Last week saw the end of my (unreasonably) proud record of not having been to a dentist. Ever.

I never had any intention of going to one but when my face started to swell up because of a toothache, I thought I'd swallow my pride and head to a dentist just to be safe.

Turns out I required a wisdom tooth extraction.

And if I thought the original swelling caused by my toothache was bad, the swelling caused by a ruddy wisdom tooth extraction was worse (see Exhibit A).

Exhibit A
If my first visit was embarrassing because I didn't even know how to get up on the dentist's chair, the second visit was even more embarrassing because I started shaking uncontrollably about halfway through the procedure because my mouth was getting tired.

Considering the mental stress (did you know the same needle used for oral surgeries is also used for post-delivery stitches?*), I really wouldn't mind if it took me another 30 years before I next visit a dentist.


* That's what the dentist said anyway. I'm not sure if that's her way of soothing me but it sure as hell didn't work.

Comments

Popular Posts