Hello Khayra!

I'll never forget the moment the doctor lay you on mummy's stomach two seconds after you came into the world. I could see your tiny face as you were facing me, blinking slowly, looking very confused at the world you had come out into. (P/S: I wish I could tell you it gets better, but daddy's been around for 30 years and I'm still confused by the world).

I panicked because you were as quiet as a mouse upon delivery. On TV, babies always come out into the world bawling their heads off. You were the complete opposite. Apparently, quiet babies are normal. Remind yourself not to believe everything you see on the telly when you grow up.

One of the midwives inserted a suction into your mouth to clear your airway. Only then did you start to cry and only then did daddy relax a bit.
Baby Khayra's first ever photo
I took this first picture of you 13 minutes after you were born and sent it to the army of people waiting outside. This photo represents the first time your grandmothers, uncles, aunties, grand cousins, etc. saw you.

In the nursery
Your mum had to stay in the hospital slightly longer than we would have liked but alhamdulillah other than a few minor hiccups, both you and mum did well.

This is called Palmer's Grasp reflex
I got really emotional the first time you started gripping my finger, although I later found out it's because babies can't really control their grip.

That has been my journey as a father in a nutshell. I'm learning new things every day. Not just about you but about myself too.

I used to think I'd be grossed out by poo but as it turns out I'm quite alright with that. I still laugh when I think back to the time you decided to pull a number one all over me. Impressively, that's still the only time that's happened so far and the chances of it happening again become slimmer by the day because you're picking things up fairly quickly.

I'm glad you've finally figured out the difference between day and night. I'm happy you seem to recognise faces these days, judging by how you smile when certain people talk to you, although I'll be honest I'm not 100% certain if you actually do but let's just assume you do.
Is this daddy?
On our part, mummy and daddy are getting better at figuring out what it is you want when you weep. We're also getting better at knowing what you like and what you don't (like for example how you seem to love nappy changes for some strange reason).
Happy Khayra

Not so happy Khayra
Today, it will already be two months since you came into our lives.

It's amazing to see how fast you're growing. Some of your newborn clothes don't even fit anymore!

At this stage of your life, every day is another step towards another milestone (and there will be plenty these first few years!). There will be ups and downs along the way but mummy and daddy will be there every step of the way.
My family!

Comments

Popular Posts